Sunday, March 8, 2009

Health Insurance: Why is it so much?


“With no union with no dental plan I can’t eat off no 100 grand.” This is a quote from the rapper Beanie Sigel. His profession doesn’t have health insurance. He is rapping about how difficult it is to live a comfortable life with having to pay out of his pocket for health related issues. Despite his high salary he finds it difficult to pay for his everyday life essentials and healthcare. This topic is usually a determining factor when choosing a member of the house or senate, mayor, governor and especially the president. The American public wants to know what are you going to do about their healthcare. The healthcare quandary in America is horrific. Last week the healthcare issues in America finally hit me. I never seriously cared because I am a pretty healthy person, I rarely get sick and for the longest I was on my father’s insurance. Now I am a college graduate and my healthcare issues are all mine.

I have salary paying job with paid vacation and benefits. But the benefits aren’t as good as I first thought. The monthly payments for health insurance with my current job is about $360 a month—this past Friday I received a memo with my check and found out the insurance is going up to $470. Not only is it $470 a month, but you have to pay a co-payment. That is truly absurd. They are trying to find another vendor with cheaper insurance because I am not paying in health insurance what I can pay for in rent or a car note. That just doesn’t make any sense to me; especially since I don’t have any severe health issues. I think the $360 dollars is too much, that is why I am included with the other 10 million plus people in America without health insurance.

If I want health insurance I will have to do my own personal shopping on what healthcare out there fits me and my needs. When choosing healthcare pay close attention to monthly payments and/or whether it is a deductible or co-pay. Without health insurance can be tough. I wanted to go get a yearly check up to make sure I am as healthy as I think I am. I wanted to do a little bit of research. I was willing to pay out of pocket for a physical. As I call around I was in for a rude awakening. Most doctor offices and clinics required $100 plus just to schedule the visit then I had to pay for the actual physical, which the end amount would have been close to $400. And that is a lot of money to the average American. I can’t even imaging how it is for people working on $200 a week working minimum wage. A change in our healthcare system is truly needed in the United States.

In order to end my dilemma I decided to go to the Health Department in my area. It is free, the wait wasn’t as long as I expected and the staff was extremely helpful and kind. Health is very important because without good health it is arduous to lead a good life. You can have money and great family and friends but without good health you cannot not enjoy your money, family and friends. This is article wasn’t meant as a written attack on the U.S. Healthcare system but just to make people aware of their surroundings. We need change. Change will come, but change takes time. Be patient and optimistic and all will be OK.

2 comments:

  1. Well written...This country is in a bigger hole than I think any of us really imagined. I, like you, hold onto faith that we will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea health insurance is through the roof...in fact i'm having an issue w/ my insurance but its not w/ the insurance company but the company that billed them.

    i got my eyes examed last september and the eye doctor just billed me w/ a bill. according to them the insurance company didn't pay for everything...to make a long story short i called my insurance company to see what was going on and come to find out the eye doctor improperly billed them...

    although insurance companies are notoriously known for trying to f*ck you over, the companies that bill them will try to f*ck you as well...

    always understand how your insurance works and how to use it...

    ReplyDelete