Saturday, January 31, 2009

BET


Black Entertainment Television was founded in 1980 by Bob Johnson. Since BET was sold to Viacom the appeal has dropped frequently. I thought the sell to Viacom would have brought more money and better television shows to BET. That is definitely not the case. BET has become one of the worst networks on television. Bob Johnson should be ashamed for selling his company to Viacom and watch them put the company in the grave. I’m not sure if they need better executives or just new owners. BET lacks good television shows. No one wants to watch movies all day long; especially movies that have R ratings and every other line is bleeped out. Rap City doesn’t come on anymore, 106 & Park is on its last leg and new shows like Hell Date just didn’t have the longevity. It was only good for the moment.


BET needs to bring back music videos. They do not have the show power like MTV to not show music videos. My generation grew up on BET and we would watch it sometimes before school and definitely after school. BET was always the first channel I turned on when I got home from school. Maybe I am lacking information about music videos. Maybe people don’t want to watch music videos anymore and all they want to do is watch reality TV and if that is the case that is an absolute shame. BET at least can hire some good show developers and come up with something that will keep the public attention. College Hill was a great idea, Baldwin Hills wasn’t pretty shabby either, the Keyshia Cole show was a good idea, but the ratings are high on that because of the characters the people on the show are appealing to the public—but everything they do it seems like MTV is first to do it. I don’t know if it is me or does BET cameras doesn’t look sharp or crisp. It is definitely not my TV. I don’t know what it is but they makes me not even want to watch their shows.


I’m sorry but a line-up full of judge shows, movies and sitcoms isn’t the BET line up I want to see. I want to see videos. Bring back Rap City, Video Soul, Cita’s World, Hits from the Street, Teen Summit and definitely bring back Videolink. BET what has gone wrong? I am extremely disappointed. And if your are going to show TV shows all day show Martin, Fresh Prince, Living Single—just about all of the shows the TV-One shows. I honestly probably wouldn’t feel as angry about BET if I haven’t grown up on BET and know BET’s potential.


Is it the economy that is hurting BET? I don’t know the Nielsen Ratings but I know my friends and I aren’t watching BET. Even my younger brother and sister by pass BET. The Channel just need to put up a blank screen and say under construction. BET needs revamping, new shows, new people and new ideas. I would love to see BET regain it prominence that it once had. Maybe it is just me and I am the only angry former BET viewer. Everyone loves the new line up of shows on the network. If so, I apologize. If not thank you, I know I am not crazy. Someone please help. I will do just about anything to help BET get back on track. It is sad to see such a great idea go dwindle away.

1 comment:

  1. 1. The station was never that good..lol however as we know in this world money talk and everything else just doesn't matter.... or does it? I am bold enough to ask if there is a CEO out that really gives a damn about the future of this world and where it goes. Now I know we are just talking about BET and not the war but let’s look at it like this. If I were the CEO I would hire all types of people to work for me and I would HAVE to have a team of young kids in my corner. Who else has hours on end to waste watching TV, why not ask them what they want? We can't balm it on VIA although they play a big part, we need to be calling the HR department at BET and tell to stop wasting their interns time on stapling items that will never be used and actually ask them what they think. Stop being overly concerned about “the numbers” and be more concerned about the fan base. This is a CUSTOMER SERVICE type world, but no one wants to serve. These 22 year olds are excited and want to work 24 hour days if need be, instead they ask the 56 year old who doesn't know what channel BET is (with all due respect to the seasoned CEO's of the world, I look up to you all), but just be clear (as TI would say :)) we all need each other. BET could be booming, the place Black Americans turn to for the greatness of the Black world, instead we stone the station based on the craziness it shows.... wowww didn't mean to type all of that..lol

    2. I used to love HELL DATE.. dang tear tear

    3. My mom loves that American Gangsta.. hello they went hard..

    4. love the article
    MUAH BLOG LOVE

    ReplyDelete